Tuesday, August 25, 2009

An elephant never forgets, but can be easily pacified by a few peanuts and a warm shower.

I've been thinking a lot about goals lately. In my adult life I've realized their importance and have tried to understand their power to help me form the life that I want and achieve what I put my mind to. A close friend of mine recently achieved one of hers. And I'm very proud of her for it. It reminds me that I need to refocus on mine.

A quote by the writer J.A. Jance I read recently stirred something inside me. She said, “A writer is someone who has written today.” It's been a long time since I wrote. I keep telling myself that this winter is when I will continue on my book. Yeah, the one that I thought was finished. Turns out it needs a lot of work - at least if I'm to believe the “expert” book reviewers I sent it to.

It's been a busy summer for me and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't having the time of my life. People keep telling me that I'm living their dream, spending the summer in a marina with no significant responsibilities, no real worries, save for getting to work on-time and paying the bills. It truly is a blessing to be living in such a city as beautiful as Olympia and to know the people I do. Yes, the life I'm living right now one might say was one of my goals.

But have I forgotten about my other goal? Yes I remember now, the one where a short eight months ago I set out to become a successful writer? Have I lost sight of that?

No, I haven't. I would however say that I've been happily sidetracked enjoying life. Turning good friends into great friends, learning the innocence of a child's laughter, realizing the stark beauty of a sunrise, feeling the warm sunshine and soft afternoon breeze on my face - yes, these are a few of my favorite things. These are things that make me smile and make me happy to be alive. These are things that warm my heart and create not just pleasure, but happiness.

Happiness is what I've always felt life was really about. We all find it in a different place and in different ways. If one can achieve happiness then he has truly achieved something great. Happiness has always been for me at least partly rooted in achieving my goals. Perhaps though instead of wondering if I've lost sight of some of mine I should focus on the ones that I have achieved and be happy in the moment that is now. After all, it's taken my whole life to get here and who am I to waste any second of it. Life is not a race, it's a journey. And the path we take to get there makes all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment